Tuesday, December 24, 2013

College IS a good thing.

I just read a blog post by a black woman saying a college degree isn't necessary (paraphrasing). This is the second time I've heard this argument--the first was from a classroom of white people. Which is a bit more understanding. However, when I read it from someone who is black, it bothers me even more. I'm not one that knows every single part of my black history, but what I do know is there was once a time we couldn't get a basic education. We were prohibited from such a luxury. We weren't allowed to learn to read and write. Yet, now such a privilege has become one where the same people who weren't allowed to receive are now writing--"yeah, you don't even need one of those". This makes me angry. Especially because I'm a single black mother who's fought nearly eighteen years to get a college degree. Who has set an example for my children that going to college isn't optional. In America the playing field in just about every arena (sans sports) has us as black folks, a step behind the rest. Please don't take anything away from assisting us in getting IN the game. I am never one to use my race or color as a reason why I can't be/do/get something. But the fact is when one looks at me the color of my skin can't be missed. Why in the world would I give anyone a reason NOT to hire me. College educated, well spoken, great résumé. Check. Then lastly.... I'm black. Not the other way around. I don't want to limit options and opportunities by telling anyone education isn't key. For most races living in low socioeconomic situations, education is THE ONLY way out. The only way to provide a better life for themselves and their family.

If you've got TWO degrees please don't tell people that getting ONE isn't necessary. Look into the ghettos of the world, look at those who are living below the poverty level. Look at the single mothers who are struggling to feed their kids. If education is not the way out for them, then what is?!

Get a college education, folks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment